Thursday, July 19, 2012

Contentment

Lately I’ve been trying to practice a bit more contentment at work.  I love my job, I really do.  It’s just that when you do the exact same thing over and over, day after day, sometimes it can steal your joy a little bit. 

I’ve been trying little things like adding eucalyptus plants to my cubicle to make it more inviting, and planning more lunch dates with friends who work in other departments.

It has also helped a lot to reflect back on previous companies I’ve worked for.  When I compare them to my current company, I feel EXTREMELY grateful to be here.  My company is very generous to us and provides a really positive work environment.  And overall I work with really great people.  Most of my co-workers are really normal… it sounds odd, but having worked with weird people in the past, “normal” is really refreshing.
 
I also have a hand in pretty meaningful work.  Interviewing, hiring and onboarding people is really routine for me, but when I step back to think about the impact it is having on people’s lives, I feel kind of humbled.  Giving people opportunities to advance in their career, and provide for their families is actually kind of a big deal when I think about it. When I call someone to set up an interview, for me it’s just another item on the to-do list, however, for the candidate it’s likely a call they’ve been nervously hoping to receive. 

I don’t want to spend 40 hours a week (or more like 50 when I factor in my heinous commute) wishing my life away, waiting for the weekend or for my next vacation.  I want to make a concentrated effort to focus on what I’m doing and be grateful for the opportunity to be here. 

“Let each person lead the life that the Lord has assigned to him, and to which God has called him.”
1 Corinthians 7:17

No comments:

Post a Comment